Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Oh, heck, yeah! (Or: classical music to blast from a car stereo)


(Link to cartoon)


I have always been a classical music geek.  I am the only one in my house, but that doesn't stop me.  Tuesday evening I was watching a TV show with Thad and the girls, and during one scene I interrupted the characters' conversation to inform my family that the music playing in the background was Brahms' Waltz in A Flat Major.  I got eye-rolls.

So I loved the Savage Chickens cartoon above, and just for my fellow classical music geeks among my readers (all five of you!), here's Chopin's Prelude in E Minor, Op. 28, No. 4.  Now, it's not bad, but if you're going to blast Chopin from your car stereo, I'd rather hear either his Waltz, Op. 64, No. 2 (which is a favorite of mine) or else the "Heroic" Polonaise in A flat major, Op. 53, which would both be awesome for the blasting-from-car-stereo purposes.

Of course, if we get away from piano pieces, I'd recommend the Swan Lake scene 1 Allegro giusto (which I like almost as much as the main theme) or possibly this bit of Dvorak's New World Symphony. And that's before we even start talking about bits of opera...

Okay.  I'm done now. :)  But if you like classical music, what piece could you listen to anywhere, even in a car?


8 comments:

Geoff said...

Listening to classical music in a car is hard because it actually makes use of dynamics. Inevitably, if I set the volume to I can still hear the pianissimo stuff clearly, I'll be getting incredibly dirty looks by the time the fortissimo stuff hits. Personally, I don't mind it getting really loud, but apparently others, who I've seen enjoy really loud popular music, do.

I'm more of an opera geek that a pure classical geek, but I've developed a really deep and abiding love of Gustav Mahler over the years. I saw his second symphony "Resurrection" at the local symphony a few years ago, and it was an incredibly moving experience. And, of course, the Adagietto from his 5th symphony his fantastic. He originally wrote it as a gift for his wife Alma when they were first falling in love.

In the same vein, I've picked up a bit of an affinity for early Schoenberg, back when his music was more in a late Romantic vein. His Transfigured Night is another of my favorites.

I agree that when it comes to blasting classical music from the car stereo, it's hard to beat Chopin's Heroic Polonaise. But as another great car piece, how about the Brahms Violin Concerto?

Or pretty much any of Bach's organ works are pretty good.

LarryD said...

I've been known to strike up the volume for Mozart's Symphony #25 and his
Piano Concerto #20
.

Lydia Cubbedge said...

Depending on my mood, Prokoviev's dance from Romeo and Juliet, anything by Bach, Mozart's requiem ( I sing along to that), and all of Beethoven's piano sonatas. Also, Faure and Vaughn William's Lord, Thou Hast Been Our refuge. Oh, and Holst.

I just discovered your blog and am truly enjoying it!

priest's wife said...

Faure's Requim

Brian Sullivan said...

Schubert's Trout Quintet for fishing trips.:-)

Red Cardigan said...

Oh, these are all such great pieces! Thanks so much--I'm going to be enjoying great music all day, now. :)

B et G said...

hmm, in the car, *Mozart's* Requiem--especially the "Confutatis, Maledictis" part. I have a special place in my heart for the Requiem because I picked up a tape of it in high school at a used music shop, and it blew me away. I was agnostic at the time and I had no idea what a Mass even was, but I kept listening to it and I even sat there looking at the written words so I could figure out how to pronounce Latin. Though I had no idea what any of it meant at the time. We are all classical music geeks in our house so far...my kids have been playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons over and over and over and I know it's cliche but I don't get tired of it. Vivaldi breaks my heart, in a good way.

scotch meg said...

Always, always, Beethoven's Fourth Symphony.

So funny how people who blare rock hate classical at any volume. My all-state French horn son likes to practice in the back yard, but he can't do it at any hour when our neighbor is home. Too bad - others stop by to say how much they enjoy the music. I'd understand if he weren't actually pretty good, and if the neighbor in question didn't blare metal "music" at all hours from his deck during summer weekends.