Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Brief prayer request

I don't have a lot to write about today, and I'm planning some changes to my blogging schedule anyway, starting next week.  So could I just ask those of you who pray to join me in praying for an increase in Christian unity?

I think that one of the two messages Pope Francis has given us so far has been to continue Pope Emeritus Benedict's work to try to bring about unity between the Churches of the East and the West.  More and more I think that however impossible this may seem, we, or our children or grandchildren, may see the end of the great division between Orthodoxy and Catholicism.  Wouldn't that be amazing?

And I also think that the time may come soon for an increase in unity between Protestant Christians and Catholics.  We are already largely united in battle against the forces of anti-religious secularism, and as those battles increase our unity must also, if we are to prevail.

I don't really know why I feel compelled to pray for this intention at this time, but I do.  So I've started adding in a prayer here and there in my daily prayers for an increase in Christian unity and for the Holy Spirit to bring back all of His children to work and pray and strive together.  If you'd like to join me, please do!


5 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

This Anglican's praying with you!

Magister Christianus said...

An Evangelical joins you!

John Henry Lamming said...

Joining you in prayer. Every time I see the Pope meeting with Orthodox leaders, I feel like a child of divorced parents watching Mom and Dad go out for coffee. Sure, I don't have any real evidence that they're talking reconciliation, and history gives me no reason to hope for it. Probably they're just being cordial and working out the logistics of who will pick me up from band practice.


But I run up to my room and pray anyway, that maybe Dad will come back home and live with us again.

Erin Pascal said...

I am totally with you on this! I also think that unity is what we really need. I think this the time to work together hand in hand and promote peace and harmony. I will pray with you and may God bless you! :)

eulogos said...

Thank you for taking on this intention. I can't think of anything I want more (other than the salvation of my own children.)

I often try to imagine how it could be done. What I pray is that it happens according to God's will, as the path to it is beyond my understanding.

Susan Peterson