Friday, May 24, 2013

New BSA Post briefly delayed by migraine...

I had intended to post a follow-up post today to my discussion of the Boy Scouts of America and their decision to permit openly gay members.  There has been a thoughtful discussion of this at Rod Dreher's blog, and I've also heard from some readers asking what the problem is, given that the Catholic Church differentiates between homosexual sex acts, which are gravely sinful, and the orientation or inclination to be sexually attracted to members of one's own gender, which is not.

To give you an idea of what I'm concerned about, I was planning to talk about three things: one, that this is being spun as a decision to allow "openly gay" Scouts (and a discussion of what "openly gay" even means in a context where all the boys are supposed to be celibate and avoid discussion sexual matters); two, that activists are already calling this the "first step" toward allowing gay adult leaders to lead troops; and three, the inevitable problems a secular organization will face in trying to maintain anything like a similar nuance to the Catholic Church's teachings on this issue--that is, can the BSA really kick out gay scouts for evidence of sexual activity outside scouting, or will that end up being labeled some kind of unfair witch hunt?

Unfortunately, the post I planned to write is swirling around in my brain, but the migraine that came in with this afternoon's thunderstorms is wreaking havoc on my ability to form coherent sentences and even to type (you wouldn't believe how long this tiny bit took me to write).  So I'll plan to revisit the issue early next week; in the meantime, please feel free to add your thoughts in the comment box.

1 comment:

Tony said...

I think the question is can the Boy Scouts kick out straight scouts for sexual activity outside of scouting (and obviously outside of marriage)?

I think what's good for the goose is good for the gander.