Monday, December 2, 2013

An Advent blogging experiment

Before I get to the subject of this post, I want to share a link to my sister-in-law's blog today; at #4 in her post you will find all of my Jesse Tree reflections gathered into one Scribd document along with links to her lovely printable symbols.  I may be needing to print them out myself if I don't find our Jesse Tree--I realized yesterday that I'm so used to the Jesse Tree readings starting on a day other than the first Sunday that I hadn't gotten the Jesse Tree and its symbols out, and now I can't find the darned thing! :) 

Now, on to my Advent blogging experiment.

As you know, I've been a bit flaky this year with the blogging.  I've felt like something needed to change, and I spent quite a bit of time playing around with WordPress to change the look and feel of the blog before deciding I'm just not ready to switch platforms.  I've also noticed that life in general and fiction writing in particular is taking up more and more of my time, leaving a bit less time for the blogging.

While my blog traffic remains pretty consistent, I admit that I don't pay that much attention to stats anymore.  Lots of people have advised me to move my blog to Facebook because everybody has done this, but I hate Facebook even more than I hate Blogger (and that's saying something).  I keep up with a handful of blogs, but rarely comment on most of them (Rod Dreher's blog is the biggest exception, but somehow he manages to keep his comment threads like a real conversation--and believe me, I know how much work that takes).  And I've noticed that I don't get all that many comments here anymore--or, rather, I don't get all that many that I can approve and post; there are a depressingly large number of people in the world who feel free to put all sorts of sludge in your comment boxes, and even though I send these straight to the trash it takes time to read them and realize they're trash and send them that way.

So my Advent experiment is going to be this: I'm going to post more regularly, but for the season of Advent, I'm turning comments off completely.

I've never tried this before, and have never really wanted to do it.  But since comments have been dwindling (at least here; I suppose when people share my posts on Facebook they may comment on them over there, but I never see that), I don't know if it's really necessary for me to keep comments open on my blog.  I think the experiment will let me know for sure.

No comments: