Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year! Comments are back on!

Since a reader wrote to ask, I thought I'd mention that comments are back on as of Dec. 31--but only on the posts written since then.  That's the software, not me; I'd have to go back and manually permit comments for all the posts that were written after I turned comments off, which would take quite a bit of time and probably be counter-productive in the long run.

The experiment of having comments off was interesting.  I found myself posting as often as I wanted without feeling tied to an arbitrary blogging schedule (which is just me--I have this thing about posting daily on weekdays even though I don't have to do so).  I also found it nice to go to my email box without dreading the near-daily set of comments from a handful of people who apparently hate Catholics, Church teaching, and anybody who talks about those things, and who vent that hate by posting obscenities and so on.  No, I'm not thin-skinned; no blogger can afford to be.  But it's still unpleasant to have to delete other people's verbal excretions, especially when they are so dull and predictable.  What ever happened to the art of clever invective?  I could at least enjoy that, and might even post some of it if it were clever and literary enough.

Most of all, the extra bits of time from not having to blog and/or moderate comments was very welcome in this busy season.  As I told the reader who wrote, I've seen other Catholic bloggers shut off comments during Advent or Lent and wondered if it is really helpful.  It was, for me.  So I may do it again during Lent--but since Lent is six weeks long and my busy weeks are really only the last two (choir practices and church obligations) I will probably only turn off comments those two weeks.  Unless I change my mind before then, which is a woman's prerogative. :)

So: any comments you've been wishing to share on the topics of unjust sentencing, the Legion of Christ, Eastside Catholic High's situation, or anything else I posted on from early December till now?  Want to talk about your Christmas, or anything else?  Open comments below!

5 comments:

Deirdre Mundy said...

My goodness! Your daughter is an adult! And... a really put together one! Score one for homeschooling!

Red Cardigan said...

Thanks, Deirdre! :)

L. said...

She's lovely!
Why Korea?

Red Cardigan said...

Thanks, L.! My husband served in Japan in the Air Force, and since then he's continued to be interested in all Asian cultures. The present interest in Korea comes from some cultural exposures, some Korean TV and film, and a willingness to explore the culture, history, and food of just about any Asian country!

Alas for me--I'm the only one who can't join in completely on the food part, because of a fish allergy I've developed in the last few years. But the girls enjoy getting to try new things, and my oldest especially seems to share her father's gift for easily picking up languages--I sometimes find her listening to a local Korean radio station even when the announcer is just talking, and it amazes me that she can understand a good bit of what they're saying!

We've also enjoyed the local Japanese cultural festival every year we're able to go; it's at the Fort Worth Japanese Garden. A lot of the cultural performances at that festival come from the Okinawa area, if I recall correctly.

Thad can still understand Japanese pretty well, and in addition to dabbling in Korean he's also picked up some Chinese language instructional materials recently. I've never had any talent for languages myself, so it's neat to have people in my family who do!

L. said...

Fortunately, there's plenty of Asian food that doesn't revolve around fish -- the whole worship of the noodle, for instance. (Ever see the movie "Tampopo?")

My own Asian experience started with a vague fascination in my childhood, and ended up shaping my life in ways I could never have imagined.