Monday, June 30, 2014

An apology...

I have, on occasion, been less than complimentary to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Today, however, I realize that I owe five of the nine justices a bit of an apology.

To the majority, then, I address this heartfelt apology:  Dear majority who ruled in favor of religious freedom today, I apologize if on occasion I have insinuated that the members of the present SCOTUS could not find their hindquarters even if provided with a map.  Today’s ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby proves that at least five of you can do so.  Even if the map has to be both detailed and narrowly constructed.

Still, I will--gratefully--take what I can get.  Every little bit that stands between religious believers and the tyranny of the secular majority counts.  A lot.

Now, protect the nonprofits coming your way, such as the Little Sisters of the Poor or EWTN, and you may earn an actual cheer.  Possibly even two.  (I am reserving three cheers for times when the Court appears to remember to read the actual Constitution before ruling, but to be honest, I don’t expect to see that in my lifetime.)

No comments: