Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Confessions of a blogging slacker

Well, I’m back!

Sort of.

I’m still trying to get some editing done.  But I did manage to finish the book I decided to write this April.  The final count was just over 61,000 words in 25 days--but now I’ve got something else to edit.

Sigh.

I had planned on writing a blog post yesterday, but it never happened.  I planned to write one today, and I realized given the lateness of the hour that it wasn’t going to happen either.  So this is a sort of “slacker” post in which I promise to resume writing but don’t actually get to it until tomorrow.  Hopefully, anyway.

In the meantime, if anybody’s still checking in, let me ask: what’s on your mind?  One of the weird things about marathon writing sessions is that I lose touch, a bit, with what’s going on in the World Out There.  I mean, yes, I’ve read a bit about Baltimore, but that’s pretty much it.

It may take me a few days to resume my regular news-reading habits.  Until then, if something’s going on that you’re interested/concerned/freaking out about--let me know in the comments, and I thank you in advance for the blog topic ideas! :)

5 comments:

Deirdre Mundy said...

I've been wondering what the civil purpose (as opposed to the religious purpose) of marriage IS in our current world, why the state chooses to confer benefits based on temporary romantic partnerships, and what the incentives are for remaining single and childless, single and a parent, married and childless and married and a parent.

What behavior is our government encouraging? What is it discouraging? What sort of society will it give us?

Annie T. said...

I would love to see you write about anything! Maybe some more thoughts on some of Rod's posts about nominalism and the biological family?

Annie T. said...

I would love to see you write about anything; specifically, maybe some more of your thoughts on Rod's posts regarding the biological family and nominalism?

John InEastTX said...

Deirdre, implicit in your question is the the assumption that The State acts with rational precision, tailoring laws and regulations in order to produce an outcome that maximizes orderly efficiency.

In actual practice, The State is run by a collection of elected officials who want to keep their jobs, so the reason those benefits you allude to are conferred on civilly married couples is because if the tax laws and other regulations were changed, then those politicians would lose their jobs at the next election.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

If I might make a suggestion?

Not just give your readers tips on other blogs, which by now is main staple on Tea at Trianon.

Even if good, it's annoying not to read very many pieces of say historical info on Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, or if by now she is more into material for her second two books, Elena Maria Vidal might have started one new blog for historic essays on each - one for Albigensian Crusade, one for Irish Emigration to States.

Instead one can do what I have slacked behind, in favour of pure blogging:

Triviū, Quadriviū, 7 cætera : Index indicum
http://triv7quadriv.blogspot.fr/p/index-indicum.html


This way my past efforts on this finished blog at least (400 messages was a good sum to stop on) are available to readers in ways that can be overlooked better than by just scrolling up and down in blog or looking at archive months on it.